Lynxie

Coffee2words

By The Sword - Alison  Stuart I didn't love this one. I think it has to do with the fact that I didn't really get to know Jonathan. I didn't connect with him or swoon... unlike the other novels by Alison, this one sat a little awkwardly.

Kate Ashley was a different matter. I thoroughly enjoyed her character. She is a very strong character. She's tested time and time again, physically, mentally and emotionally, yet she still remains strong. I wasn't too excited by the fact that almost instantly she fell in love with him, but I guess 6 years of lack of a man's touch might make one a bit more eager to hop into bed with the 'right' one.

I enjoyed Nell's character too, despite the fact that she was really everything Kate was not, I think she added a good dynamic to the whole tale. My favourite was Aunt Hen. I could picture her blustering about after everyone, being a loving, motherly woman.

I had a few little issues with Ann, and the use of the pet name 'Nan' for her. The first time I read it, I thought it was a typo, but as the book progressed I saw it for what it was - a pet name. The confusion occurred because it is so similar to her name. If she was always called Nan or Ann, it would have been ok, but it was switched around within the book... a little disjointing.

I liked the twists, but felt that they were a little obvious. The plot felt less spontaneous with this story, and more led along by a lead. Still enjoyable and with a few cameo parts of other characters from [b:The King's Man|4885628|The King's Man|Alison Stuart|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1297289355s/4885628.jpg|4951017] it was a welcome treat.

A few things I noticed:

34% - '...from the fire castin (casting?) his face into deep shadows.'

60% - '....a passage to the (delete the) Ireland, but...'

86% - '...with a bitter laugh. (")But now I have...'