Lynxie

Coffee2words

Featherfoot - Victoria  Collins

Featherfoot is primarily set on a fantastical island that has a tribe of natives who believe in being close with nature and the Earth. Things in their lives seemed simple, yet strangely complex (like nature I suppose) the more you were exposed to the story.

There were elements of mysticism and magic, or windweaving as it's called in the story, that helped to throw some complications into the villagers lives.

I didn't relate to Ria very much. She seemed too child-like and innocent, yet strangely knew what to do at times when needed. I did like Noni, she was quite amusing and sad and a welcome relief from the seriousness of the other characters.

Oren was an interesting character to me. He was the source of much conflict. His internal struggles were intricate and detailed and rather intriguing, and when you added to that the fact that he was exiled and his abilities as a windweaver, well I think he was a great character. I liked his duality.

As the story unfolded I got a little lost on timing, I felt it didn't have a rigid enough feel of time passing, it seemed very fluid, and that meant I struggled to work out how long things should take them, the journey's were out of context to me because of this.

Ultimately, I enjoyed reading the story, even if the poetic writing style irritated me to being with (I wanted to capitalise all the new lines!) I liked a number of the characters and felt that the pacing was pretty good.

A few things I noticed:
There were some formatting issues with text size on the kindle - 1% - 'Their's is a coastline...' 5% - 'Ria and me don't like the village...' and a few other times later in the book. Minor detail, but worth mentioning.

I found the use of shit, crap and fuck to be a bit jarring. The language used by the locals seemed quite sedate and old-world but the new swear words didn't fit. I would have liked to see some interesting turns of phrase instead to illustrate their meanings rather than cheapening their language with our crude expleetives.

69% - '... the villages (villagers) freak...'

97% - '...would have been ecstatic (with) this reception.'