Lynxie

Coffee2words

What Tomorrow May Bring
Tower of Tales: Collected Stories - Alison  Stuart

Alison is a great writer, don't let this 3 star review put you off her work.

The reasoning behind this rating is simple. I prefer her longer works because it allows her to further develop her characters, story and in most cases fully tug on my heart strings too.

The short stories in this book were tiny glimpses into what, I am sure, would have been brilliant novels if Alison were to continue them. As they stand, however, I felt like you were getting a teaser, but alas there was nothing to follow up with. I long for the rest of these stories.

This left me feeling a little deflated after some great imagery, great character building and warm introductions to some amazing characters.

If you want a quick, easy way to introduce yourself to Alison's writing style (covering romance, historical fiction and the expat life in Singapore) then this is the book to try. The romance is sweet, not explicit. The historical fiction brief but vivid and the stories of the expat life of a wife in Singapore felt full of realism.

I especially enjoyed how Alison included a brief note about the inspiration or event that was the catalyst for the piece. A lovely insight into her creative mind.