Lynxie

Coffee2words

Face of the Dead - Natasha Duncan-Drake [b:Face of the Dead|12961789|Face of the Dead|Natasha Duncan-Drake|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1319628380s/12961789.jpg|18119397] is the first of Natasha's books that I've read that encompasses horror and thriller aspects. While I normally, thoroughly enjoy her fantasy stories, in particular the books of the Charlie Waterman series, this one left me feeling a little cold, and not because of the creepiness.

While there was nothing technically wrong with the writing, I just felt a lack of connection with the characters. While the imagery was well constructed, I didn't find myself imagining it in my brain, there just seemed to be some sort of blockage between the written word and my imagination.

The pacing seemed a little off with this one too, but given the short length, perhaps that was to be expected. I am thinking that the pace was so fast that I didn't get a chance to 'know' the characters or share their experiences.

The bare bones of a rather creepy story is here, but it just didn't do it for me this time.

One thing I noticed:

34% - 'As is (it) turned out...'