Lynxie

Coffee2words

What Tomorrow May Bring
The Dragon, Fly - Jilly Paddock The Dragon, Fly is a collection of short stories and chapters from larger still to be released works by Jilly. The titles are as below and my thoughts on each accompany them.

The Dragon, Fly: The cover represents aspects of this story. It was great in terms of imagery, not so much in terms of capturing the reader by way of interesting plot, this was probably one of my least favourite of the bunch.

Playing Possum: A horror of sorts, I was intrigued at Jilly's take on this genre. It wasn't the creepiest of horror stories I've read, but it certainly had elements of a very creepy story.

The Omnidirectional Woman: Keeping along with the same sort of creepiness/danger/darkness I quite liked this story. I was at first a little unsure at the tone with the psychologist/Dr in this one, but that quickly gave way to intrigue in where this nasty little tale was taking me.

Death and Cai-Le McGeoghan: By far the most promising of the short stories I hadn't been privy to before, the world these women find themselves in is a harsh one that I was interested in finding out more of. Happily, the next little tale delves more into this world.

The Serpent's Claw: I think this was my favourite of all the stories in this collection. The mystery and reverence that this guild of women assassins has is great. It was an interesting, but too short glimpse into their world. I hope Jilly is going to pursue this tale and make it into something bigger and more complex, I'd buy it in a heart beat!

That Cold, Terrible place filled with stars: This intrigued me, it was a good bridge between the sultry and dangerous women in The Serpent's Claw and the sci-fi aspects of the last few tales. I liked the protagonist, I liked the strength she showed and the confidence. A great little tale in deep space.

The bride carried Tigers: An interesting one. I was immediately interested in the science behind this one, alas being only a short story, meant I didn't get to meander amongst the details, instead, I was thrust forward and into the complexity of this emotional tale.

Le Belle Epoque: Revisiting Anna and Zenni who are the main protagonists in [b:To Die A Stranger|13590033|To Die A Stranger|Jilly Paddock|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1333982994s/13590033.jpg|19177714], this story may not make a lot of sense to those who haven't read the other tales about them, so perhaps pick up To Die a Stranger first?

Twisting the Dragon's Tail: The same can me said about this tale of Anna and Zenni, even though I'd read To Die a Stranger, there were aspects of this short tale (as it's from book #3 I believe) you'll be missing a fair bit of background knowledge which may make this one even harder to grasp. A fair amount of prior knowledge is kind of assumed, but if you don't have it, I think it'd still make a reasonable story.

All up, a pretty mixed bag of genres and tales from Jilly. If you like a bit of science fiction, fantasy and horror mixed in, pick this one up.