Lynxie

Coffee2words

What Tomorrow May Bring
SwanSong - Lynne Cantwell SwanSong had all the makings of a great book, but alas I felt that trying to tackle 1000 years or near enough of time in one book was a little hard.

The focus of the book is on the four children (if you don't know the story of the fate of the children of Lir) who are partially transformed into a swans by their jealous step mother. It was enjoyable at first, I quite enjoyed the introduction and even at the beginning thought the pace might have been a bit too fast. Sadly, the pace slowed considerably as the book went on. Trying to cover 300 year stints at a time got a little tedious!

There was a lot of focus on basic day to day stuff which wore a little thin too after the first lot. I felt that not enough emotion was put into the various losses for the children, they seemed a little glossed over to me.

The focus was primarily on the children and their singing, which bored me. I love music, just as much as the next person, but I didn't need to hear the same description of the songs over and over and over again.

This was an OK read, not great, not bad. It would be a good book to fill a few days if you had nothing better to do.

A few things I noticed:

6% - 'she wore a plain blue shift the (replace with that) complemented the pale blue of her eyes.'

14% - 'Neeva (Neeve) felt a queer sensation.'

16% - 'Those children had him wrapped around his (replace with their) little fingers.

16% - '...and disappeared over a much lower rise on the opposite bank.. (remove second fullstop)'

54% - 'so I have shut it up and moved to (remove to) back to the old rath.'

84% - 'Neeve tried to squint past past (remove second past) the glare...'

88% - "Oh ho!" he calledd (remove second d) when he saw them.'

NOTE: I receieved a copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review