Lynxie

Coffee2words

What Tomorrow May Bring
Like Death - Tim Waggoner

Like Death: I'm not 100% certain as to why the book was called Like Death I think perhaps the PR guy thought complete mindfuck wasn't appropriate. Even something relating to darkness or evil would have been a bit more appropriate in my opinion.

Don't rush into this story if you can't handle gore and horror. Don't rush into it if you can't stand constant WTF moments. Don't rush into it if you don't like talking/reading about killing, screwing, blood, guts, and all other manner of darkness.

This book was certainly all of those things; it was deep in the world of a sick mind (Scott Raymond's, the main character). There was a lot of sexual innuendo mixed in with the horror and gore; everything seemed to be tinged in boobs, nipples, penises and sex. Take for example the murder of Scott's family (which is in the books blurb here on GR), the young Scott sees his dead mother's breast from where he's hiding. It did get a little, dare I say it, boring, tedious, same-same.

There were things I did enjoy. Some of the craziness was absolutely unexpected. I liked that feeling of being completely thrown off balance by a twist in the story. I also found the ending to be a bit odd, but I felt that it was a good ending to this truly strange book.

I didn't feel creeped out by this book. I wanted to. Some of the scenes were heading down that path, but I didn't feel the tension, I didn't feel goosebumps on my skin or the hairs on the back of my neck standing up. This left me feeling a little disappointed.