Lynxie

Coffee2words

SPOILER ALERT!

The Bite by Angela Horn ~ The expectations and reality were vastly different...

The Bite  - Angela Horn

I seem to be on a bit of a Zombie-a-thon lately, and this was a good thing for Angela Horn and her book, The Bite, because I was really in the mood for a good zombie book.

I will come clean though, when I read the title, the full title, I was thinking that it was actually about something kinky. I mean... c'mon. The Bite (Sub Sami #1) doesn't that sound like it'd be about some hunky Dom strapping down a helpless little sub and having his way with her?!

Perhaps it's just me!?

Anyway, I was mistaking, obviously, because this book is about zombies and the end of the world as we knew it and adding kink in there is kinda icky.  But if that's your bag, I'm sure there's someone out there writing about it... hrm, perhaps I should?!

Moving on... Sami has been surviving in this world of zombies for a year and travelling with her father and a group of people she grew up with. This was ok, except that she kept calling her father 'Daddy' and that instantly annoyed me. She was not five years old, she was an adult practically. So the use of Daddy made me think of some inappropriate Daddy/Daughter kink... wrong again!

The story was actually quite unique, there were zombies, vampire types and even *I think* werewolves... I say I think, because I was completely confused by the scene with the white dog and the subsequent scene later with the explaination. Also... what was with the lack of reaction? It was strange.

I liked crazy Bellamy/Death/Rue/Anastasia, even if she was kind of crazy. I liked the dynamic she brought to the group. She livened things up in an otherwise serious situation.

When Sami was taken into the enclave thing and all that fun stuff happened, I admit, I was thinking - right here we go, this should be interesting. The hinted at reality of that situation was sooooo much more exciting than what actually happened. Way to tease us.

I must admit, I think because I went in expecting an adult novel, I was a bit miffed that this was a Young Adult one. I wanted the adult levels of sex, gore and horror. These were mostly missing. There were no graphic scenes, where graphic scenes occured in the book, they were glossed over, someone conveniently blacked out or got out some way.

Because of this, I felt a little jipped. This could be a totally awesome adult horror zombie story, but by dragging it down into the YA realm meant missing out on the freaky shit. My expectations (no matter how wrong to begin with) were vastly different from the reality of The Bite.

It is a passable YA zombie read, but for hard-core fans of horror and gore you will likely come out of this feeling underwhelmed.

I'd love to see Angela release an adult version of this book! BRING IT ON!

EDITED TO ADD: What is with the cover? Does it look like a zombie book with a cover like that?!