Lynxie

Coffee2words

Great to share with the young adult in your life

You Can't Shatter Me - Tahlia Newland
Recommended for: School aged children, teachers of young children
Read from February 09 to 11, 2013 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I tossed up between a 3 and 4 star rating for this one. I went with a 4 as you can see. The reason I wasn't sure was because I felt that the imagery and the fantasy aspect seemed a little too prominent within the story.

Hold up, I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Tahlia has a very strong story here, the characters are realistic, honest and believable. Their reactions are true to being a teenager and the situations they find themselves in is a realistic representation of what a teenager might go through at school. It's important these days to teach children about bullying and how to deal with it.

An indie book to rival the finished products of the big six, Tahlia should be very proud of the highly glossy polish this book has. If all indie authors could produce this standard of work, the readers of today would be in for a treat!

Now, back onto the story, while there were cliche moments, it didn't disrupt the storyline. In fact I think some of them helped to solidify the moment in the story and show character growth and development.

Where I took a step back from the story was with the imaginary happenings of the characters, the strange cut scenes that they used to help make important discoveries and growth. They seemed a little too 'young' for the story to me. It could be that I'm just not the intended target audience of You Can't Shatter Me, and as I believe that is the case I overlooked that and bumped up the rating.

This book would be a great one to share with the young adult in your life, be they a son, daughter, niece or nephew. It highlights the bravery required to overcome bullying, but it also teaches them other valuable lessons about self worth and being kind to others. It should be compulsory reading for all Primary and High school kids today.

**Note: I was provided an electronic version of the book in return for an honest review**