Lynxie

Coffee2words

What Tomorrow May Bring

Crime/Horror/Mystery fans would enjoy this.

The Stranger - Chris Martin

The Stranger is a short story about Dillon, a young man who lives in Seal Bay. The thriller, mystery storyline was quite interesting, and built quite quickly, but was marred by a few cliche descriptions right at the start.

I didn't feel anything for Dillon, I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, but that didn't mean I wasn't interested in the tale and where it was going. It reminded me a little of a few of the big blockbuster crime/thriller movies that came out in the late 1990s and early 2000s (think Along came a spider, Double Jeopardy and the like) the rather convenient twists occurring to carry the story along.

The writing was quite nice, there was some great visuals provided and generally speaking it drew me into the story. Where I feel it let me down was the ending. There were a few instances of sudden plot changers occurring with no real explanation or realistic reactions. The explanation of actions the characters took earlier in the story after the fact, was a little clunky especially because the reader had no idea what was happening, it was rather surprising and not in a good way.

The revelations at the end, well I felt they were a bit like one of those tacky epilogues that have been tacked onto the end of an otherwise good story. I didn't enjoy the ending, it was a bit too cliche and 'done before'. I'd have liked some other reasoning behind what happened.

Still, this is a quick read, decently written and interesting story. Crime/Horror/Mystery fans would enjoy this.